Baked macaroni and cheese is the ultimate comfort food. You’re going to love the crunchy dried breadcrumb topping!
1. Bring water to boil in a large pot.
2. Add pasta and 1 tbsp salt and cook, stirring often, until tender. Once cooked drain the pasta.
3. Melt butter in a large pot over medium-high heat.
4. Add the flour, 1 tsp salt, cayenne and nutmeg and whisk until mixture deepens in colour (1-2mins).
5. Gradually whisk in milk; bring mixture to a boil, whisking constantly.
6. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, occasionally whisking, until thickened, about 7 mins.
7. Take the pot off the heat, whisk in cheeses until completely melted.
8. Add the cooked pasta (optional fried pancetta) to the sauce and cook over a low heat, constantly stirring, until mixture is heated through, about 6 mins.
9. Transfer to a casserole dish and sprinkle with M&M dried breadcrumbs.
10. Bake in the oven until topping is golden brown, about 3-5mins. Keeping a close eye not to burn it.
11. Remove from the oven, allow to cool for approx. 5mins and serve.